Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Do I Need to Also Extended My Wife and Son's H-4 Status?

Hi William,

My H-1B status has been extended by my employer's lawyer recently. Do I need to also
extended my wife and son's H-4 Status?


Many H-1B visa holder does not know that it is necessary to specifically request extension of H-4 status for the dependents prior to the H-4 status expiration, for
H-4 dependents who are in the United States.

A H-4 dependent spouse or child generally enters with a visa stamp, and is admitted through the validity period of the principal spouse. The dependent simply may not realize that an application for an extension of status with the USCIS is necessary.

The problem of a dependent overstaying the status expiration date is especially common with the H-4 category. This is because an H-1B worker may regularly be the beneficiary of H-1B amendments, and change of employer petitions. With each such petition, an extension of status may be granted. Given that the principal spouse’s status has been extended, it is very easy to forget to take any action to extend the dependent spouse’s H-4 status.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com