Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Can We Qualify for P-3 Visa by Blending of Cultures to Create Art?

Hi William,

Our group wants to apply for P-3 visa for culturally unique artists and entertainers. Our performance
mergs the traditional with the contemporary. Can we qualify for P-3 visa by blending of cultures to create art?


P-3 visas are one avenue of allowing culturally unique artists to perform in the United States. While this can mean performances of older, more traditional art forms, the category also allows for performances by artists who blend and merge various cultures and styles to create new forms of unique art. This is what helps to make the U.S. such a great nation.

U.S. laws and court decisions recognize the importance of sharing and learning about cultures through art forms from around the world, that educate and illuminate all of us to foster appreciation and encourage richer and more vibrant cultural blending.

The USCIS allows for the blending of cultures to create a new, unique art form. In one AAO case, USCIS determined that a group of Argentinean performers that combined klezmer (Jewish music of Eastern Europe) with Latin and South American influences qualified as culturally unique.

The AAO concluded that a mixture of different traditions, practices, or styles could be combined to create something new. The law was flexible enough to allow for this new style to be something that is culturally unique to a “group of persons.” In this case, the group of persons is South Americans born to Eastern European immigrants with a distinct Jewish Argentine culture and identity.

Along similar lines, many culturally unique artists combine traditional art with other more contemporary influences. This is does not preclude the artist from qualifying as culturally unique. As long as the traditional art form’s influences are reflected in the final performance, the argument can be made that the artist or group in question qualifies for the P-3 visa.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com