Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
If I File I-485 now, May I Change My Current Job after 180 Days?

Hi William,

I recently filed Form I-140 in the category of EB1 Extraordinary Ability. Currently I am on J-1 visa and waiting for H-1B approval from USCIS. I would like to concurrently file I-485 also. If I file I-485 now, may I change my current job after 180 days? Thank you for your time and advice.


Under AC21 rule, you can change job after 180 days of filing I-485. But the new employment position should be similar or same as the job classification in the form I-140, and the form I-140 petition should be approved already.

If your I-140 petition is still pending, you can not change employer, even the I-485 application has passed 180 days. Here, only the APPROVED form I-140 is portable to a new employer, after passage of 180 days of form I-485 filing.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com