Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Stay in the Same or Similar Field after EB1-Extraordinary Ability Approval

Hi William,

After I get my Green Card in self-petition EB1-Extraordinary Ability, do I still have to stay in the same or similar field? Also, as a derivative beneficiary, if my wife wants to change her job, does she has to stay in the same or similar field?


For self-petition or employer-petition EB1-Extraordinary Ability petition, if you were granted a Permanent Resident status because of your extraordinary ability in a field, you may want to work in the field at least for a while after your Green Card petition approval. It is not recommended that you change job quickly.

For your wife, since she is not the direct beneficiary of the EB1-EA I-140 petition, she is not subject to the requirement of any specific employment. Before obtaining her Green Card and with a valid EAD, she can work for any job and anywhere. After receiving the Green Card, she can also change job at any time.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com