Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Can I Register and Run an LLC Company while Working with EAD?

Hi William,

I am working with EAD, and my I-485 application based on EB2-National Interest Waiver approval is pending. Is it possible for me to register and run an LLC company in partnership with another Green Card holder? I work on information technology, but the intended company will be in a different field.


It it important to understand the purpose and limitations of the EAD card, which is a temporary work permits. Therefore, the EAD cardholder should be aware of the card’s expiration date and initiate the process to renew the EAD card well before that date, since one must have the new card in-hand in order to continue working. This card is not a green card, and should not be confused with permanent work authorization.

Generally, a person on an EAD may incorporate a company. However, if that new company acts as the new sponsoring employer for employment to obtain the Green Card, then it is a problem since there may be issues dealing with the financial ability to pay, or the employer not having been there at the time that the priority date was established.

If it is purely for business reasons and nothing to do with your Green Card processing, then it should be fine generally. The only risk is that if you invest a lot of money, and for some reason your Green Card does not go through, then you would have lost your investment and equity by having to depart the United States.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com