Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Apply for a Reentry Permit to Avoid Lose Immigrant Status

Hi William:

Thank you very much for your DIY packages. I purchased your NIW and I-485 DIY packages two years ago and have successfully obtained my Green Card. Now, my company will send me to work in my home country. How long can I remain outside the U.S. without losing my immigrant status? Do I need to apply for the Reentry Permit? 


If you are a lawful permanent resident and will be outside of the U.S. for more than a year, you will need to make special preparations for your re-entry before you leave the U.S. If you have applied to adjust to permanent resident status, you should be careful of any trip outside the U.S. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (“CBP”) officers at airports have become increasingly probing about Green Card abandonment. If a trip outside the U.S. is anything more than short, you may need to demonstrate your ties to the U.S. to the CBP official at the port of entry, 

Reentry Permit is suitable for lawful permanent residents or conditional permanent residents who wish to remain outside the United States for more than one year, and for lawful permanent residents who want to travel outside the United States, but cannot get a passport from their country of nationality.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com