Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Is EB2 National Interest Wavier Application only for Scientists and Researchers?

Hi William,

I have a Master degree, can I apply for NIW?
Also, is National Interest Wavier green card application only for scientists and researchers?


If you have a Master degree, it will depend your qualification for EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW) application. An advanced degree or exceptional ability is only the statutory requirements for EB2 NIW petition.  In addition to meeting the statutory requirements, you also need to prove that granting you permanent residence is in the U.S. national interest.

It is not true that
EB2 National Interest Wavier green card petition is only for scientists and researchers. Although a majority of NIW petitioners are researchers in various fields of science, the law does not exclude individuals working in any specific field or profession. In practice, USCIS has granted national interest waiver to engineers, actors, musicians, painters, movie directors, writers, educators, entrepreneurs, and chefs, etc.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com