Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
With Pending I-485 Application, File Supplement J for AC21 Job Portability

Hi William,

I have a pending Form I-485 application, and now I want to change job for "AC21 job portability". Do I need to file  Form I-485 supplement J to USCIS, to let them know that my I-485 application should be approved on the basis of a change to a “same or similar” position?


The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) now requires most new employment-based Form I-485 adjustment of status applications to be accompanied by an Form I-485 supplement J.
There are two situations in which I-485 supplement J must be filed:

1) The supplement J must be filed concurrently with form I-485, if it is based on a pending or approved form I-140, unless the Form I-140 application is an EB1 Extraordinary Ability petiiton or a Eb2 National Interest Waiver (NIW) petition.

2) If an alien applicant has a pending Form I-485 application and qualifies for AC21 job portability, supplement J must be submitted to the USCIS to request that the Form I-485 application be approved on the basis of a change to a “same or similar” position. In this case, the alien applicant may file the supplement J upon the employment change.

If supplement J is filed concurrently with the I-485, the USCIS will simply issue a receipt notice for the I-485. No separate receipt will be issued for the supplement J.

If supplement J is submitted for AC21 purposes regarding a change in employment, the USCIS will issue a receipt notice to confirm receipt of the supplement. The USCIS will then adjudicate the form, and either issue an approval or denial on the AC21 request.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com