Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
USCIS Increases the Filing Fees for Most Types of Immigration Applications

Hi William,

What are the U.S. immigration application fees for next year after the fees increase?


On October 24, 2016,  the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) posted a notice in the Federal Register announcing an increase in filing fees for most types of immigration applications. These fee increases are scheduled to go into effect December 23, 2016.

The USCIS determined that the fee increase was necessary in order to avoid a budget shortfall in the coming years. The fee increase was proposed on May 4, 2016 and was made final on October 24, 2016. Pursuant to the final rule, USCIS filing fees will increase by a weighted average of 21 percent. Any applications received by the USCIS on or after December 23, 2016 will have to include the fee set under the new rule.

Examples of commonly used forms that will see fee increases are:

Case Type

Current Fee

New Fee

I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker

$ 325

$ 460

I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

$ 420

$ 535

I-131, Application for Travel Document

$ 360

$ 575

I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker

$ 580

$ 700

I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status

$ 985

$ 1,140

I-539, Application to Extend / Change Nonimmigrant Status

$ 290

$ 370

I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

$ 380

$ 410

N-400, Application for Naturalization

$ 595

$ 640

It has been 6 years since the USCIS last raised its fees. So, it is reasonable to conclude that these newly set fees will remain in place for at least a few years.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com