Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
P2 Visas Application for Artist in Reciprocal Exchange Programs

Hi William,

I am an sculpture artist, and will come to U.S. for a sculpture project in a university. I was told that I may qualify for P2 visa. My question is do I need obtain an appropriate letter from a U.S. labor union or organization for my visa application?


The P2 visa is available to an artist or entertainer, either individually or as part of a group, who come to United States to perform a reciprocal exchange program between the United States and a foreign country. The essential support personnel can also be included. The P2 applicant should prove a formal and written exchange agreement. Also, a labor union in the United States should either involve in the negotiation of the exchange or agree to it.

The individual or group being exchanged from United States should have skills and terms of employment comparable to the foreign person or group coming to the United States. The USCIS Form I-129 should be filed and include the following documents:
  • Written consultation by an appropriate labor union or organization in the United States;
  • Copy of the formal reciprocal exchange agreement between the sponsoring U.S. organization and the organization in a foreign country which will receive the U.S. artist or entertainer;
  • Statement from the P2 visa sponsoring organization of U.S. describing the reciprocal exchange of United States artists or entertainers;
  • Evidence that the alien artist/entertainer and the U.S. artist or entertainer subject to the reciprocal exchange agreement are artists with comparable skills, and that the terms and conditions of employment are similar;
  • Evidence that an appropriate labor union/organization in U.S. was involved in negotiating, or has concurred with, the reciprocal exchange of U.S. and foreign artists or entertainers.
If the events or performances will take place in multiple areas, an itinerary must be submitted. The itinerary must list the dates and locations of the events.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com