Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Can I Stay in U.S. Longer with My Non-immigrant Visa?

Hi William,

I have a non-immigrant visa. What will happen if I decide to stay in U.S. longer beyond the period of time authorized in the visa? Does that mean I will be out-of-status?


With a non-immigrant visa, you should carefully consider the dates of your authorized stay, and make sure you are following the procedures. Failure to do so will cause you to be out-of-status. Staying beyond the period of time authorized by the Department of Homeland Security and out-of-status in the U.S. is a violation of U.S. immigration laws, and may cause you to be ineligible for a visa in the future for return travel to the U.S.

If you overstay the end date of your authorized stay, as provided by the CBP officer (U.S. Customs and Border Protection) at a port-of-entry, or United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), your visa will be automatically voided or cancelled.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com