Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
What Should I Do for My O-1 Job Change in the United States?

Hi William:

I am a TV producer working in United States with O1 visa. I may need to work with another project about a professional athlete team in the same company but in another city. Do I need to let the USCIS know this? Also, If I change employer in the future, what should I do for my status in United States? 


If there has been material change in the terms and conditions of the O-1 visa holder's employment or the eligibility for the employment in United States, the O-1 employer should file an amended petition on USCIS Form I-129 with the USCIS Service Center where the original O-1visa petition was filed.

If an O-1 nonimmigrant wants to change employer in the United States, then the new employer should file a USCIS Form I-129 with the USCIS. If the previous O-1 visa petition was filed by an agent, not by the employer, then an amended
Form I-129 petition must be filed with evidence relating to the new employer and a request for an extension of stay.

There are special rule for athletes. When professional athletes with O-1 nonimmigrant status are traded from one team to another, employment authorization will continue with the new team for 30 days during which time the new employer must file a new Form I-129. The simple act of filing the Form I-129, within this 30-day period, extends the employment authorization at least until the petition is adjudicated.  If the new employer does not file a new Form I-129 within 30 days of the trade, the athlete loses his or her employment authorization. The athlete also loses his or her employment authorization if the new Form I-129 is denied.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com