Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
The J-1 Waiver Application on the Financial Hardship Ground

Hi William:

I want to
apply for J-1 waiver on the financial hardship ground. What kind of arguments or evidences that I should prepare for the J-1 waiver application?


To apply for J-1 waiver in "financial hardship" option, the J-1 holder should consider the financial hardship for the U.S. citizen spouse and child. For example, if the J-1 alien goes back to his or her home country alone, the U.S. citizen spouse's salary may not be sufficient to cover the expenses of housing, childcare, and day-to-day life expenses inside the United States, especially in some expensive cities or states. Also, the J-1 alien would not be able to earn enough money in the home country to contribute to the family's support. Therefore, the situation is not financially viable.

If the J
-1 alien's family is in one of the highest cost-of-living areas in the United States, the couple may also not be able to accumulate significant savings upon which to rely for living without the J-1 alien in U.S. Additionally, as immigrants, they may not have relatives living in the United States to help them through the difficult time.

Also, when one parent is abroad for the 2-year home country service and the other parent is in the United States, the U.S. citizen child would suffer.
The child may not have contact with either parent, while both parents are working in U.S. and abrod, which lets to the negative impact of such a parental separation at a young age. While separation alone is not the hardship, but the situation may go beyond normal separation hardship levels in some cases.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com