Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
USCIS Has Discontinued the Legacy E-Filing System

Hi William:

I am preparing to file
Form I-140, immigrant petition for an alien worker, in the category of EB1 Extraordinary Ability by using your very helpful EB-1A DIY package. It looks like that the USCIS' e-filing system is no long available at USCIS website. Do I have to submit the paper copy of form I-140 to USCIS?


U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has discontinued its legacy e-filing system, in order to maintain data security standards and focus resources on its replacement system.

Five key applications, previously available for e-filing, has reverted to a paper-based system after the legacy system is decommissioned. Currently, paper copies of the following forms will have to be filled out and submitted to the USCIS:

• Form I-131, application for travel document.
• Form I-140, immigrant petition for an alien worker.
• Form I-765, application for employment authorization.
• Form I-821, application for temporary protected status.
• Form I-907, request for premium processing service.

USCIS is transitioning to a new system called the Electronic Immigration System (ELIS). “The new system is faster, more secure, and easier to upgrade and update,” the USCIS said. Although the above forms being removed from the legacy e-filing system would not immediately be available on ELIS, the USICS does plan to add them in the future.

Currently, ELIS is capable only of accepting payment of the $165 fee for an immigrant visa and processing the Form I-90 application to replace a permanent resident card. USCIS is also planning on moving applications for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program to ELIS.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com