Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
How Could My Wife Get Employment Authorization Document (EAD)?

Hi William:

I am a H-1B visa folder, and my wife with H-4 visa can not work now in U.S. I was told the Employment Authorization Document  (EAD). How could my wife get Employment Authorization Document to work in U.S.? 


An Employment Authorization Document  (EAD) is a work authorization document issued by USCIS. The aliens with EAD are allowed to work for any employer in the United States. It is important to understand that the aliens with EAD can work for any employer, and do not need other work visas, such as L1 visa or H-1B visa.

U.S. employers will check the work visa or EAD to make sure all employees are allowed to work in United States. The USCIS Form I-765 is used to file EAD application. To be eligible to receive the Employment Authorization Document, the common way is for an alien to file Form I-485 application after the Form I-140 approval for immigration visa application (Green Card application). 

There are other ways to be eligible to apply for EAD, including L-2 visa holders (spouses of L-1 visa holders), and asylum applicants.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com