Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Use a Church Certificate with an Affidavit from Priest as Marriage Certificate?

Hi William:

I am going to submit our Form I-485 applications, including my wife and 2 sons. What is the best substitution for the marriage registration certificate? Can I use a church certificate with an affidavit from a priest as my marriage certificate?


A church certificate with affidavits should be helpful. An affidavit from the priest who performed the wedding or another priest who can attest to procedures for the issuance of the church certificate should help. 

Sometimes, some USCIS officers are suspicious about a person not having a marriage certificate, so it can help to indicate in your Form I-485 application cover letter that the U.S. government acknowledges that, in certain countries, it is not necessary to obtain a marriage certificate for a marriage to be valid and legally binding. 

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com