Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Why I Still Need the Medical Examination for Adjustment of Status?

Hi William:

I will submit Form I-485 application soon. I am in U.S. already, why I still need the medical examination for adjustment of status to permanent residence? and how to do the medical examination?


The medical examinations for Form I-485 application are conducted by "Civil Surgeons". Civil surgeons are physicians approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to perform the required medical tests and evaluations of foreign nationals present in the United States and seeking permanent resident ("Green Card") status. The medical examination is submitted with the I-485 application. A similar procedure is followed outside of the United States, for those applying for permanent immigration benefits at a U.S. consulate abroad. These individuals undergo the same type of medical examination, conducted by panel physicians approved by the U.S. Department of State (DOS).

The reason for the medical examination, which is documented on USCIS Form I-693, is to determine if Green Card applicants are ineligible for permanent residence due to public health concerns. Applicants for adjustment of status are considered to be applying for admission to the United States, even though they are already physically present. Thus, if a medical condition is discovered, that places an individual within one or more of the categories of individuals prohibited from admission to the United States (referred to as "inadmissible"), she or he cannot be approved for adjustment of status to permanent residence.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com