Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Can I Apply for U.S. Green Card in Labor Certification with TN visa

Hi William:

I am Canada citizen working in U.S. with TN-1 visa. Can I apply for U.S. Green Card in the step of Labor Certification with the employer's sponsorship?


TN-1 is a temporary visa that needs intent to return to Canada upon completion of the one-year temporary work. Unlike the H-1B, TN visa holder does not enjoy dual intent.

But filing of Labor Certification application does not in itself constitute such an intent not to return to Canada. In your case, your application of Labor Certification is in a very early stage of the immigration process. Accordingly, you are not likely to face a serious problem either at the border or at the USCIS Service Center, in obtaining extension of TN status for another year. 

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com