Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Satisfy the J1 Visa Two-Year Foreign Residence Requirement

Hi William:

After finishing my J1 program, I did not service the 2-year home country residence in by home country, but transferred to Canada and got a residence at Canada. Now, in which countries could I satisfy the J1 two-year foreign residence requirement?


The two year foreign residence requirement may only be satisfied in the country of nationality or last permanent residence as indicated on SEVIS DS-2019 Form (or Form IAP-66). If you are a citizen of one country and a permanent resident of a second country, you must satisfy the home residence requirement in the country of last permanent residence indicated on SEVIS DS-2019 Form. 

These countries must be listed on the SEVIS DS-2019 Form (or Form IAP-66). If there is an error on the form, the State Department takes the position that the USCIS, not the State Department, must correct the error, if the program sponsor will not correct the error. In many instances, the two-year foreign residency requirement may be waived by submitting the J1 waiver application to U.S. Department of State.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com