Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
J-1 Physicians Subject to the Two-Year Home Residence Requirement

Hi William:

I am a physician with J-1 visa and subject to the two-year home residence requirement. After a marriage with an American citizen, do I still need the J1 waiver before I can apply for U.S. Green Card? Also, if I apply for IGA J1 waiver, do I still need to work for 3 years under H1B status? 


A J-1 visa holder who marries an American citizen is still subject to the two-year home residence requirement, and must either obtain a J1 waiver or fulfill the two-year home residence requirement before you are eligible to obtain permanent resident status - U.S. Green Card. 

If an Interested Government Agency (IGA) J1 waiver is obtained, as a physician, you must still work in H-1B status for three years before applying for permanent residence.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com