Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
What Is the Definition of Outstanding for EB1-OR Application?

Hi William,

I am a research associate at a university, and considering to apply for Green Card in the category of EB1-Outstanding Researchers or Professors. What is the definition of "outstanding"? and how outstanding an applicant should be? 


“Outstanding” researchers and professors can qualify for a Green Card in a stream-lined fashion, without the employer first testing the labor market through an application for labor certification, which is the standard procedure for other professionals. 

To qualify as “outstanding,” the applicant must be recognized internationally in a specific academic area. Evidence of this international recognition can include: major prizes or awards; membership in associations that require outstanding achievements of their members; published material in professional publications about the applicant’s work; participation as a judge of the work of others; and original scientific or scholarly research, including authorship of scholarly articles or books. 

The applicant must also have three years of experience in the area of expertise, either teaching or doing research. If coming to teach, the applicant must have a job offer for a tenured or tenure-track position to teach in the area of expertise at a university or comparable institution of higher education. 

If coming to do research, the applicant must have a job offer for a research position in the area of expertise at a university or comparable institution, or with a private employer that has at least three full-time researchers and documented accomplishments in an academic field. 

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com