Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
The SEVIS Collects Current Student and Visiting Scholar Information

Hi William,

I am a new J1 visa holder in a university as a visiting scholar. I just heart the SEVIS system. If I want to change my status to F1 student, do I need to report to the SEVIS system in my university?


The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) collects current student and visiting scholar information on an ongoing basis, from DHS-certified schools and Department of State (DOS)-designated exchange visitor program sponsors relating to nonimmigrant foreign students (F and M visas) and exchange visitors (J-visa) during the course of their stay in the United States. SEVIS is an Internet-based system that provides tracking and monitoring functionality, with access to accurate and current information on nonimmigrant students (F and M visa) and exchange visitors (J visa), and their dependents (F-2, M-2, and J-2).

SEVIS enables schools and program sponsors to transmit electronic information and event notifications, via the Internet, to the DHS and DOS throughout a student's or exchange visitor's stay in the United States. SEVIS will be informed of status events for students and exchange visitors including entry/exit data, changes of current United States residence address, program extensions, employment notifications, and changes in program of study. SEVIS will also provide system alerts, event notifications, and reports to the end-user schools and programs, as well as for DHS and DOS offices. 

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com