Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Does My Sponsoring Employer Have to Withdraw My I-140 or Inform the USCIS?

Hi William,

I currently have H-1B visa as an engineer at a company. I have filed EB2 I-140 petition, based on approved PERM labor certification. Because of business reason, if I change job, does my sponsoring employer have to withdraw my I-140 or inform the USCIS?


Your sponsoring employer has not to withdraw your I-140 or inform the USCIS. Unlike the H-1B status application, there is no requirement for the employer to notify the USCIS of termination of the employment or withdraw the I-140 petition. Many employers do not withdraw I-140s upon employment termination. Since it is no longer possible to file Labor Certification substitution cases now. 

Previously, in Labor Certification substitution cases, the employer was required to revoke the previously approved I-140 for the original beneficiary in order to substitute a new beneficiary. Thus, employers had a valid reason for revocation in some instances. Now, there is often no reason or need to revoke an I-140.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com