Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  
Does the 2 Year Home-Country Service Requirement Apply to Me as a J-1 Vis Holder

Hi William,

As a J-1 visa holder, how could I know if the two-year home-country physical presence requirement apply to me?


The J-1 program sponsors generally inform the J-1 exchange visitors about this
wo-year home-country physical presence requirement. The J-1 exchange visitors are generally also made aware of it at their J-1 visa interviews.

If you are subject to Section 212(e) and choose to fulfill it, you must be physically present in your country of nationality or last legal permanent residence for an aggregate of at least two years after departing the US at the end of your J-1 program.

If you are unsure whether this requirement applies to you or your situation, you can request that the Department of State, Waiver Review Division conduct an advisory opinion at: 


They will review your exchange visitor program documents to determine if you are subject to this requirement.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com