Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  
Can H-4 Dependent Spouse Obtain the Employment Authorization Document?

Hi William,

I am a
H-4 dependent spouse. My husband has obtained an H-1B extension beyond the 6-year limit because of his employment based Green Card application, can I apply for the EAD at this time?


USCIS has implemented the
regulation to allow some H-4 dependent spouses to obtain the Employment Authorization Document (EAD). One of the eligibility is based on H-1B spouse’s extension beyond 6 years.

Under the second category of EAD eligibility, the H-4 spouse is eligible to apply for an EAD under the H-4 EAD rule, if the principal spouse has obtained an H-1B extension beyond the 6-year limit pursuant to specific provisions of AC21. The provisions in question are contained in the AC21.

regulation allows an H-1B nonimmigrant to extend status beyond the six-year standard limit in one-year increments, and the H-4 dependent spouses can obtain the Employment Authorization Document.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com