Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  
Can an International Medical Graduate Apply for NIW Green Card after J1 Waiver?

Hi William,

I am a
International medical graduate with two-year home residence requirement, can I apply for NIW Green Card by myself after I get the J1 waiver?


The International medical graduates may need meet the the two-year home residence requirement through a waiver based on the support of an Interested Government Agency (IGA). These J1 waivers require three years of service as a physician in certain designated underserved areas.

After the J1 waiver, the
International medical graduates can apply for US Green Card, most commonly choose between two options to file and obtain the green card -  the NIW and the labor certification-based green card process. Both options are within the employment-based, second preference category (EB2).

One benefit of the NIW petition is the ability of self-petition. While there must be a qualifying job offer forming the basis of the EB2 NIW petition, the employer does not need to sponsor the NIW petition.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com