Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  
As a J-1 Visitor, How to Apply for a Change of Status for O-1?

Hi William,

I am a J-1 visitor, please let me know how to apply for a change of status for O-1?


As a J-1 visa holder to apply for a change of status for O-1, you need to provide the copies of proof of J-1 status, such as J-1 visa stamp and DS-2019 form to USCIS. If you are subject to the 212(e) two-year residency requirement, you also need to provide:
  • copy of J-1 waiver recommendation;
  • copy of I-612 form;
  • proof that you fulfilled the requirements by living and working in your home country for a full two years
The J-1 visa holders subject to 212(e) 2-year residence requirement are eligible for O-1 classification, although she or he is not eligible to change from J-1 to O-1 status within the United States, and must apply for an O-1 visa abroad and re-enter in O-1 status. If you have dependents in the U.S., they should submit the I-539 form and associated documents to USCIS also.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com