Home William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  
Do I Qualify for E Visa? and What Are the Requirements for E Visa Application?

Hi William,

I want to set up a business in United States. Do I qualify for E visa? and what are the requirements for E visa application?


United States has reciprocal treaties with about 80 countries all over the world, it permits foreign national business person to obtain E-1 visa or E-2 visa to open business in the United States. The foreign business person should come to United States to work as an executive, manager, or essential worker.

  • The E-1 treaty trader visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals of a treaty nation to enter in United State and carry out substantial trade. A treaty trader belongs to a nation that maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation or a bilateral agreement with the United States.
  • The E-2 investor visa allows an individual to enter and work inside of the United States based on an investment he or she will be controlling. The investment must be "substantial." Investor visas are available only to citizens of certain countries.
The E-1 visa / E-2 visa applicant must have the same nationality as that of the majority owners of the enterprise or firm. The majority ownership of the business must be held by nationals of the treaty country. Joint ventures may qualify foreign nationals having citizenship of the countries of which the venture’s owners have citizenship, even if they are separate treaty countries.

For E-2 visa applicantion, substantial investment or trade is required. The substantial investment is defined as the amount necessary to run the business or investing a high percentage of cash. The borrowed funds are permissible in certain circumstances.

Foreign nationals setting up new enterprises in United States may be issued an E visas valid for up to five years, but it is common to receive an one-year to two-year visa for a new business. Spouses of E-2 visa holders may obtain authorization to work in the United States.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com