Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
The No Successor-in-interest Nature for Corporate Changes by Merger or Acquisition

Hi William,

I am in a unique situation. I have filed for my H1B through company A and pretty recently got a 3 year extension too. I also have an approved Labor and I-140 through them. This May the company had an asset only acquisition and is now operating under a new name and Employee ID. Since we are all open to file our I-485 I contacted my immigration lawyer and explained the company reorganization. At first the lawyer was claiming that we should file an Amended I-140 due to the reorganization.

My company lawyer informed my Immigration Lawyer that the new company has not taken over the liabilities of the old company, it only took over the assets. Now my immigration lawyer claims that I will have to transfer my H1B to the new company and move forward with my original I-485 application and then port after 180 days. I wanted to get a second opinion from someone on this board.


An amended H-1B petition is required, if your current employer undergoes a manger or acquisition AND if the new company does NOT "succeed the interest and obligations of the petitioning employer", and your employment conditions have changed. The corporate changes by merger or acquisition with no "successor-in-interest" nature will have affect on the H1B employee's status.

For your case, your company lawyer informed your immigration lawyer that the new company has not taken over the liabilities of the old company, which means that the acquisition is not "succeed the interest and obligations of the petitioning employer", so your current employer needs to inform the USCIS for this changes which will affect your H1B status.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com