Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
How to Approve a Foreign Degree Deemed Equivalent to U.S. Bachelor’s Degree

Hi William:

I completed my
Bachelor degree in less than 4 years in my country. Now, USCIS sent me a Request For Evidence letter for my Form I-140 application, said my education "not equivalent to U.S. Bachelor’s degree".  How could I rely the RFE notice?


The Bachelor degree is typically a four-year program in many countries. If the alien applicant earned the degree in lesss than 4 years, or in only 3 years, the evidence should
explain carefully enough how the alien applicant came to earn this degree in less than 4 years, including the foreign credential evaluation given to the USCIS and the RFE response.

Also, the submitted documents should analyze and explain the exact nature of the alien applicant's education to the detail extent, including an explanation of the significance of the diploma obtained by the alien applicant prior to admission to the Bachelor program.

One way to
prove a foreign bachelor degree in lesss than 4 years deemed equivalent to U.S. Bachelor’s degree is to show the completion of a diploma at the accredited institution that was equivalent to college-level coursework, if the alien applicant completed a diploma program or class prior to the Bachelor program. Then the applicant may win approval of Form I-140 application by showing the USCIS that the alien worker's completion of the diploma at the accredited institution was equivalent to college-level coursework. The diploma should take into consideration by the Bachelor program when determining the required coursework for this program.

Also, if an alien aplicant had been admitted to the Bachelor program at an advanced standing level, then it may permit his ot her completion of the 4-year degree program in 3 years. This is similar to having college credits transfer or obtaining credits through advanced placement testing.  Therefore, it is posible
to show that the alien's Bachelor degree is the equivalent of a 4-year program, similar to a 4-year degree program from an accredited U.S. university.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com