Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Can I Work for an Employer Other than the L-1 Visa Sponsor?

Hi William:

I will soon work in U.S. with an L-1 visa. I have a few questions: Can I work for other employer at the same time working for the L-1 visa sponsor? can I work for the L-1 visa sponsor part-time? and can my spouse get the work permit to work in U.S.? Thank you very much.


The L-1 visa holder should only work for the U.S. employer which is the L-1 visa sponsor. The L-1 visa employer should be a parent, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate that employed the L-1 visa holder outside the U.S. Generally, the L-1 visa holder is expected to work full-time in United States. But the alien can also work less than full-time, if he or she uses a major portion of time to the job. 

The L-1 visa holder can travel out of the United States before the L-1 status expires; and the L-1 visa holder's spouse can apply for employment authorization to work in U.S.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com