Is the Procedure of FBI Name Check?
My NIW Green Card application has been approved, thank you very much for your very helpful NIW DIY package. I and my wife also filed the I-485 application, and we just get fingerprinted. We were told that we need to wait for the FBI name check. What is the procedure of the "FBI name check", and how long it would take?
All applicants for a U.S. immigration benefit are subject to criminal and national security background checks to ensure they are eligible for that benefit. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Federal agency that oversees immigration benefits, performs checks on every applicant, regardless of ethnicity, national origin or religion.
FBI name checks are also required for many applications. The FBI name check is totally different from the FBI fingerprint check. The records maintained in the FBI name check process consist of administrative, applicant, criminal, personnel and other files compiled by law enforcement. Initial responses to this check generally take about two weeks.
In about 80 percent of the cases, no match is found. Of the remaining 20 percent, most are resolved within six months. Less than one percent of cases subject to an FBI name check remain pending longer than six months. Some of these cases involve complex, highly sensitive information and cannot be resolved quickly.
Even after FBI has provided an initial response to USCIS concerning a match, the name check is not complete until full information is obtained and eligibility issues arising from it are resolved.
|Questions & Answers for Green Card Application|
|EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)|
|EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)|
|EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)|
|EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)|
|Form I-485 Adjustment of Status|
|PERM Labor Certification|
|Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification|
|Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa|
|Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application|
|J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence|
|H-1B Visa Application or Extension|
|O-1 Visa Application or Extension|
|L-1 Visa Application or Extension|
|P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension|
|William's Answers for Immigration Questions|
For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
© Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com