Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
L-1 Visa Qualification for Employee of an Affiliate Company

Hi William:

I worked for a foreign corporation's affiliate company for about one year in my home country as a engineering group's leader, but not directly worked for the foreign corporation. Now, this corporation is willing to apply for a L-1 visa for me.

My questions are -  do I have to work for the foreign corporation directly before to qualify a L-1 visa? and what are the major difference between the L-1A visa and the L-1B visa?


The language of the L-1 visa statute is specific in limiting to only those executives, managers, or special knowledge workers who have previously worked for the firm, corporation or other legal entity, or an affiliate or subsidiary of that entity, and are coming to the United States to work for the same entity, or its affiliate or subsidiary. Therefore, you could qualify for a L-1 visa.

The L-1A visa is for managers and executives. A benefit of being on an L-1A visa is the ability to apply for a Green Card (permanent residence), without going through the process of Labor Certification, after only one year in L-1A status. The L-1B Visa is for key employees, such as accountants, engineers, computer programmers.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com