Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
Can I Continue to Work for the New Employer with My L-1 Status?

Hi William:

I am in U.S. with L-1 working visa for more than 1 year. My company will be merged into another company soon. Can I continue to work for the new employer with my L-1 status?


A mergers can adversely impact the ability of a L-1 visa holder to continue working for the new company. The eligibility for L status depends on the existence of certain relationships that qualify the employer to request the L status for the foreign worker. In certain merger transactions the relationship may be terminated. 

When such a relationship qualifying the company to ask for the L status for a foreign national exists but has been changed or the worker is moved to a different related entity, a new petition may need to be be filed with the USCIS to amend the prior approval

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com