Home  William's Answers for Immigration and Visa Questions  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter
If I File a NIW Petition and My H-1B Will Expire, Can I Stay in U.S.?

Hi William:

I am a physician with J1 visa before, and my current status is H-1B. If I file a NIW petition and my H-1B will expire soon, can I stay in the U.S.?


This depends on when your H-1B expires. If you were subject to the J-1 two-year home residency requirement and received a J-1 waiver based on sponsorship by an IGA, you must remain in H--B status for a minimum of three years. However, if you have an approved NIW, then you can work on an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), assuming that you have submitted an Form I-485 application for Adjustment of Status.

Questions & Answers for Green Card Application
EB1 Extraordinary Ability (EB-1A)
EB1 Outstanding Professor / Researcher (EB-1B)
EB1 Multinational Executive or Manager (EB-1C)
EB2 National Interest Waiver (NIW)
Form I-485 Adjustment of Status
PERM Labor Certification
Form I-140 Application after Labor Certification
Request For Evidence (RFE) for EB1, NIW, L1 Visa
Questions & Answers for Working Visa Application
J-1 Waiver of 2-Year Home Residence
H-1B Visa Application or Extension
O-1 Visa Application or Extension
L-1 Visa Application or Extension
P-1, P-2, P-3 Visa Application or Extension
William's Answers for Immigration Questions
Home Page

For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
EB-1A sample of reference letter graphic © Green Card Application Service, www.greencardapply.com