Is It Possible to Take a Contract Job as the OPT or Self-employed?

Dr. William:

I am a F-1 student, and will graduate in December. Considering the current tight job market, is it possible to take a contract job as the OPT, or to be self-employed to work for myself?


The F-1 students on Optional Practical Training (OPT) may engage in work for a contractual job rather than an employment relationship. If USCIS requests information about a student's employment in this situation, the student should be able to provide information on the nature and duration of all contractual agreements, and the contact information of the contracting company. 

Also, in the International Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) , it explained that it is possible for a F-1 student to be self-employed, as long as the nature of the business relates to the student's degree program and the student is actively engaged in this business. If self-employed, the student must work full time, and keep all the documentation of employment.







Green Card Apply Service - For All Your Immigration Needs

Green Card Apply Service