Combining Education and Experience 
for H-1B Approval and I-485 Permanent Residency

Dr. William:

I have three years of college education in my home country, and four years working experience in my field after college graduation, do you think I would qualify for a H-1B approval?

If the answer is yes, do you think I can apply for Green Card later, if the job require a bachelor degree?


If you have a degree from abroad and work experience for the job offered, you may obtain a credentials evaluation from a reputable evaluation company and determine if the education and experience is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree.

For H-1B application, the USCIS allows for three years of experience in a field to be considered equal to one year of college education in that field. Therefore, if you have four years of experience and three years of education, it is possible that a credentials evaluation company could find that you have the equivalent of a four-year degree in the field in which the position is being offered, and this would permit your H-1B approval.

But the H-1B approval does not protect you when filing later for I-485 permanent residency, when it generally is not possible to combine education and experience.








Green Card Apply Service - For All Your Immigration Needs

Green Card Apply Service