May I Start to Work for a Company with
EAD, but without the Social Security Number? 

Dr. William:

I am a J-2 visa holder and have obtained the EAD for employment. I do not applied for the Social Security Number yet. May I start to work for a company with EAD, but without the Social Security Number? 


You should go to a local Social Security Administration (SSA) office to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) for your employment record and tax report purpose. Your employer will report your name, date of birth, earnings, and SSN to Social Security Administration as your Social Security records.

The Social Security Administration requires the employers to assure that the names and SSNs of their workers match SSA's records, to prevent and detect illegal employment in the United States. SSA also uses Social Security records in a work authorization verification system developed by Department of Homeland Security to conduct the electronic verification of worker status. 







Green Card Apply Service - For All Your Immigration Needs

Green Card Apply Service